The summer is all about balance… For many of us, our work schedule doesn’t really change but for those of us with kids, there’s much more planning and organizing that is involved with pulling off a seamless summer season. Our mornings seem to still be busy! To maintain a healthy body during the summer months, it’s helpful to remember to eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables. One great way to get these fresh foods into our body and start the day off right is with a morning protein smoothie. Check out this great smoothie recipe—if you’re feeling creative, you can modify it in many ways!
- Fruit: 1 cup fresh / frozen berries (low sugar carbs)
- Fluid: 1 cup water or unsweetened nut, coconut, rice or hemp milk
- Healthy fat: 1 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil OR 1-2 tbsp ground flax
- Protein powder: 15-20 grams (refer to label)—this is Optional—some examples include pea protein or whey protein
Additional Optional Add-Ons:
- 1-2 handfuls of organic kale or other leafy green OR 1 tbsp green powder
- Other fruit: banana, mango, pomegranate (can reduce berries)
- Other fats: avocado, flax oil, chia or hemp seeds, nut butter (avoid peanut butter because it can be inflammatory)
- Cinnamon, ginger
Note: Nuts & seeds will add protein—2 tbsp nuts/seeds OR 1 tbsp nut/seed butter equals about 3.5 grams protein.
Ayelet Connell-Giammatteo, PhD, PT, IMT,C is the President and Owner of Integrative Wellness & Physical Therapy in Bloomfield, CT, a wellness center specializing in holistic Physical Therapy, nutritional wellness and Functional Medicine, and Integrative Manual Therapy (IMT). Dr. Connell-Giammatteo is a Physical Therapist and Certified Integrative Manual Therapist. She has been practicing in the field of IMT for over 15 years. In addition to her IMT expertise, Dr. Connell-Giammatteo is a graduate of the Institute of Functional Medicine’s program “Applying Functional Medicine into Clinical Practice” focusing on nutritional wellness. Dr. Connell-Giammatteo was Dean of the Connecticut School of Integrative Manual Therapy (CSIMT) for multiple years. She has taught courses in Integrative Manual Therapy nationally and internationally for over 15 years. Dr. Connell-Giammatteo is also a local of this community and has been living in the Greater Hartford area for many years, where she integrates a healthy lifestyle at home with her wonderful family.